Saturday, February 16, 2013

Ashes and the Beginning of Lent

As abbot of St. Gregory's Abbey, I celebrate the Ash Wednesday mass with the distribution of ashes. I always give a brief homily. I commented on the challenge of forgiveness in the film/musical Les Miserable which I discussed on my blog last week. For my blog this week, I offered some more reflection on the social dimensions of Lenten disciplines in a post called "Turning on Ash Wednesday." The title is taken from T.S. Eliot's poem as two lines near the beginning reflect clearly on mimetic desire before going on to other dimensions of desire.

It happens that I was assigned to celebrate & preach tomorrow, the First Sunday of Lent with the Gospel being on the temptations of Christ. I have posted my reflections on this important story "Stumbling Blocks in the Desert."

You can log onto the blog on the main page if you wish.

A holy Lent to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment